Saturday, March 14, 2015

Tai chi, travelers and mechanics

Good Morning,

I've started taking Tai Chi classes at the local gym. Its something I've wanted to learn for a while now. It takes several months generally to learn a basic form, and a teacher is very helpful. This really hasn't been an option recently though I've been fortunate to take several classes in different places. One of the reasons I wanted to come to Port Townsend was that there was a dedicated Tai Chi studio run by a fellow named Michael Gilman, at the Gilman Studio, a beautiful house with a converted bottom floor  studio. I dropped by one morning where he was considerate enough to allow me to join in a class, which I enjoyed. I didn't necessarily feel like it was the right place for me though. I knew that another teacher had recently come to town, Michael Yeager, who was teaching at the local gym. I've gone to a few classes and have really enjoyed them. Its nice to have found a place and person I feel comfortable with. He's supportive and funny, along with other classmates, and its nice to be learning something new that feels good for me. Its nice that its also part of the gym, so that if I want to do other activities, I have that option, much like a YMCA.


There is a skatepark in downtown, katty corner to the gym. I enjoy sitting outside of it, looking at the strange concave shapes of the concrete, drinking coffee or tea, watching riders and kids, or no one at all with the still cold. Its like a still wave.


Things are good. I work afternoons and nights, which is nice. I have two days off in a row at the moment, which is a treat. I get to sleep in and relax. JoAnn, the owner of the house is getting ready for her trip to Alaska. I live on the second floor, with lots of light from the windows. Its nice to be up in the air. I'm enjoying my car. I left the hatch partially open one day, which killed the battery. I got a new one with the help of Nick, JoAnn's son who has a mechanical bent. I took it on a longer trip out of town on the small highways here. It was nice to be able to get away. I even bought a cassette adapter that lets me play my music from my smartphone. The car has a wonderful stereo and sunroof! It also helped me learn some of the area, which I'm generally lost about, without having driven. I'm hoping to take a camping trip out soon, and will post some pictures when I do.

I'm meeting lots of people at work, travelers. They tell me of places that I write down to visit. Big Sur, California, home to the writer Henry Miller later in his life, who I once enjoyed. A professional diver who was bicycling from Bellingham, Washington, looking for a place to camp for the night. He was traveling along the coast, up to Victoria, British Columbia, then to the San Juan Islands which are part of the Puget Sound (I think). He had recently been leading diving tours off a small island called Flores, in Indonesia, North of Australia. He encouraged me to go before the tourism industry took over. He had once lived in Port Townsend for a short time. A place called the Painted Desert in Oregon....so many places. Its hard to imagine I'll get to see them all, but perhaps some.

I'm tired this morning. The wind has been blowing all night, and I didn't sleep well. Hopefully with enough coffee and tea I'll be able to wake up. I need to take my bike to the shop, as the gears slip when going up the higher hills, which there are a few of here. I've enjoyed flying around town though. The bike is guaranteed for a month and the mechanic is very nice, with a baby due shortly. Perhaps a swim, as the pool is very close to the bike shop...

I hope all is good back home, that you are all in good health, and that the weather continues to be favorable. Please give my best to all.
With Love,
Jamie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment